Disabling dependency on esound in ports builds

Ade Lovett ade at freebsd.org
Fri May 20 08:01:08 GMT 2005

On May 20, 2005, at 00:46 , Stijn Hoop wrote:
> I do know the reason why this kind of code was added: it was
> considered incorrect behaviour that port A would NOT automatically
> pick up support for library B if it was installed by the user.

That's more an artefact of configure scripts especially being coded
to simply check for the mere existence of a library in order to use
it, instead of the more correct approach of explicitly requesting --
enable-foo (or equivalent).

Bringing in all the necessary hacks to only activate extra code if
the user (or port Makefile) has explicitly requested it is (at best)
an awkward task.  It's considerably easier to give up and go with the
exists() constructs which, as I've mentioned, do (in most cases) at
least register the dependency.

> [...] and considering reproducible package building

This right here hits the nail right on the head.  exists()
constructs, acting as the bandaids they are around poorly written
configuration scripts, can, and do, cause problems for building and
distributing packages in anything but an absolute virgin environment.

-aDe