Ruby ports/gems in FreeBSD

Jonathan Weiss jw at innerewut.de
Sat May 7 09:30:51 PDT 2005

Hi!

I'm a ruby and FreeBSD user and I've made some patches to update
ruby-mysql, ruby-fcgi and ruby-sqlite.

Further I'm working a lot with ruby-gems. The problem is, that
installing gems is independent from the ports tree. My goal is to
combine ruby-gems and the ports tree like done for PHP Pear or Perl CPAN.

For example I use Ruby on Rails (www.rubyonrails.com). Rails is
distributed as a gem with gem-dependencies. I already made some ports of
the dependencies as non-gems (that means that they install into
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/). But these ports are independant of
ruby-gems.

You can find my patches and the already finished non-gem ports here:

http://blog.innerewut.de/articles/2005/05/06/ruby-on-rails-and-the-freebsd-ports

My first idea of combining ruby-gems and the ports tree is having ports
like www/gem-rails. This port would depend on ruby-gems and would
install into /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/

What do you think?

Greets,
Jonathan
--