Abiword print problem

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu May 5 05:27:48 PDT 2005

On Thu, 05 May 2005 07:13:47 -0500, Mikkel C. Simonsen <mcs at post5.tele.dk>
wrote:

> A small update.
>
> I have tried installing the same Abiword package on another system -
> also running 5.3R, but with Gnome installed.
>
> On that system printing works fine - both with the original "lpr"
> print-command and with "lpr -Plp".
>
> Does the Abiword package "behave" differently when Gnome is installed?

Yes, it will be using libgnomeprint(ui) if you have it installed by
default. I don't have any of printer, so it's hard for me to help but I
will trying to find something if it's possible to fix by my guess.

> Best regards,
>
> Mikkel C. Simonsen
>

> Mikkel C. Simonsen skrev:
>> I have installed AbiWord2-2.0.11 (from a package) on a FreeBSD 5.3R

We have 2.2.7 in the ports tree that you should give it a shot. The 2.0.x
is out of date. I don't remember if new AbiWord 2.2.x required new GTK or
else, so if you can't get it install then you will have to follow up in
the /usr/ports/UPDATING.

BTW: Be sure to install abiword with WITH_DEBUG=yes .

Cheers,
Mezz

>> system - but I can only print blank pages.
>>  With the default Abiword print command (lpr) nothing happens. When I
>> change the command to "lpr -Plp" I get blank pages - the correct number
>> of pages, but all blank.
>>  The printer is a brother PostScript (or BrotherScript) printer
>> connected to the parallel port. I can print from Mozilla without
>> problems.
>>  I have seen this problem mentioned in the mailing-list archive - any
>> solutions?
>>  The only programmes installed on the system are AbiWord and Mozilla
>> (the "harddisk" is a 1GB flash card), so I only installed whatever
>> dependencies Abiword and Mozilla needed.
>>  Best regards,
>>  Mikkel C. Simonsen

FreeBSD GNOME Team