Problem with portsdb

Jim Campbell jim-c at charter.net
Wed May 4 11:36:56 PDT 2005

Let me preface this by saying that I am a newbie at FreeBSD specifically
and the *NIX world in general.

I have checked the archives and found problems similar to mine, but
cannot find what to do to fix the problem.

I have installed FreeBSD 4.11-Stable on my machine.  I run "cvsup" to
update my ports collection.  I then run "portsdb -uU" to update the
INDEX.db file.  This gives me two warning messages about duplicate index
entries for "freeciv-gtk-1.14.2" and "fvwm-imlib-2.4.19".  I can run
"make index" with the same results.  However, I can run "make describe"
with no error messages.  If I run "whereis freeciv-gtk" it is found
whereas "whereis fvwm-imlib" is not found.

I believe that I read that the /usr/ports/INDEX file is downloaded with
"cvsup" (?).  If so and I run "portsdb -u" then the INDEX.db file is
built from the INDEX file that was downloaded.  If I do this, I get no
warning message.  I am guessing that "portsdb -uU" rebuilds the INDEX
file from the contents of the port tree.  If so, then something is amiss
in my port tree. Is this correct?

Is this a serious problem that needs fixing?  If so, how do I go about
fixing it?  In baby steps, please :=)

Thanks,

Jim Campbell