Naming questions

Alejandro Pulver alejandro at varnet.biz
Sun May 1 06:08:15 PDT 2005

On Sun, 01 May 2005 01:00:41 +0200
Björn König <bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Alejandro Pulver wrote:
>
> >I am making a port that only has a GTK interface, should it be
> >suffixed by "-gtk"?
> >
> If the program works only with gtk and not without, not even as an
> option, then don't use PKGNAMESUFFIX.
>
> If you want to give the user the chance to choose between a GUI or
> just a command line tool, then it depends on your default how you may
> want to use PKGNAMESUFFIX. Take the port 'editors/vim' as an example;
> the user has the opportunity to make a decision between the default
> and with GTK+2 support; and the final package is named just 'vim' or
> 'vim-gtk2'. Another example is 'net/cvsup'; if you compile it with
> WITHOUT_X11 you'll get 'cvsup-without-gui', otherwise just 'cvsup'.
>
> You can stick to other ports which might give some inspirations.
>
> >If not, the executable it installs has the suffix "-gtk",
> >should it be removed to match the port name?
> >

> This is not necessary.
>
> >If there is a port that is splitted in components (like "foo-doc",
> >"foo-gtk", etc.). Should they use PKGNAMESUFFIX?
> >
> The suffix is primarily intended for compilation specific things, but
> 'databases/postgresql' shows that it is possible to use it for
> -server, -client, -doc, -odbc, i.e. components. See also
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/makefile-naming.html#AEN582
>
> Björn

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

But if I divide a port like pmars in pmars-x11, pmars-gtk and
pmars-no-gui it would be easier to use PKGNAMESUFFIX rather than
changing DISTNAME to pmars on each component, also the component
pmars-doc uses ${PREFIX}/share/doc/pmars as DOCSDIR (not pmars-doc). But
if I do this I have a problem:

.if defined(LATEST_LINK)
UNIQUENAME?=	${LATEST_LINK}
.else
UNIQUENAME?=	${PKGNAMEPREFIX}${PORTNAME}
.endif
OPTIONSFILE?=	${PORT_DBDIR}/${UNIQUENAME}/options

If I have PORTNAME=pmars and PKGNAMESUFFIX=-x11, the options directory
will be pmars (like the other components). So I have to:

LATEST_LINK=	${PORTNAME}${PKGNAMESUFIX}

Is this the best way to do it?

Also I have anoter problem: I use a port pmars to choose the components
(pmars-x11, etc.). If I type "make" and then "make install" the
components prompt for options, but if I type "make install" directly the
components use the default options. What is happening?

Best Regards,
Ale