libmagic

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Wed Mar 30 18:27:59 PST 2005

Aaron Siegel wrote:
> I am trying to port yzis (  http://www.yzis.org ) to FreeBSD and I am have
> some problems with the configure script.  The configure script produces the
> following output:
>
> checking for magic.h... yes
> checking for magic_open in -lmagic... no
> configure: error: libmagic not found. Please install libmagic.
>
> I have copied magic.h from the source tree to  /usr/include. Is this a common
> error?

I haven't looked at this port, and I won't (I have other projects
pushing me at the moment), but everything in FreeBSD, in /usr/include,
is stuff that derives from the FreeBSD system only, and you should not
touch it.  Same goes for everything you can find in the man page
hier(7), and you should give that some study.  The default location for
software in FreeBSD (not the noly location, but one you should use until
you know enough to need alternatives) is everything under /usr/local/.

The most likely idea is that your software package needs some other
piece of software, some other library.  This sort of info is very hit or
miss, but start your investigation in the README or readme files, and if
that doesn't work, use the "file" command on all files in that
directory, and for any that say they are text, look them over for hints
for dependency info.

No one owes you anything here; it's a hobby, and you got it for free (or
at least, you *could* have got it for free).  Put the time in here to
learn, and I guarantee that  you will reap great returns for any time
you spend learning.

> Thank You
>
> Aaron Siegel

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).