enigmail-thunderbird doesn't work with latest thunderbird

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Sun Mar 27 15:43:10 PST 2005

El Lunes, 28 de Marzo de 2005 01:07, Doug Barton escribió:
> Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> >>
> >> Jose,
> >>
> >> I'm not sure what your motivations are with these posts, but you
> >> are quite simply 100% wrong here. As I posted last night, it works
> >> fine if you follow the instructions in the pkg-message file that
> >> prints after 'make install'.
> >
> > It may work, but this is _not_ supported.  As this is do now in
> > mail/enigmail-thunderbird, it is _not_ registered as an extension.
>
> Ok, this is more like it. You seem like a very smart guy Jose, so you
> can do us all a favor if you reduce the hyperbole, and focus on the
> world as it is, instead of how you want it to be.

One of the biggest problems with 'the old seamonkey way' was just this.
This is why the extension manager was born.  The actual
enigmail-thunderbird hack can't survive to a thunderbird port
reinstall.

> >> I agree that this would be a nice goal, where are your patches to
> >> implement it?
> >
> > I haven't worked this, but I'll do if interest.
> >
> > It is documented in http://enigmail.mozdev.org/source.html
> >
> > do a make all in mail/enigmail-thunderbird port cd
> > $WRKDIR/extensions/xpi sed -i.bak -e 's/bash/sh/' genxpi gmake xpi
> >
> > and you'll get $WRKDIR/dist/bin/enigmail-0.90.1-freebsd.xpi.  This
> > is usable with both mozilla-1.7.6 and thunderbird 1.0.2.
>
> This is very interesting stuff, I'll give this a try. I would prefer
> to manage my extensions through tbird's extension manager if
> possible.
>
> > But I prefer do this with the mozilla/thunderbird port.
>
> I'm not sure what this means.

More or less, what we do now with calendar or chatzilla in seamonkey
(mozilla).  The only diff is that we must extract the enimail tarball
in the right place after mozilla extract.

> > I don't test this (in my todo list, with localiced builds). But it
> > may be reachable adding enigmail to the extensions list after src
> > merge (in files/mozconfig.in).
>
> I'm not 100% sure what this means, but if you're suggesting that we
> include enigmail builds by default with thunderbird or mozilla, I
> don't agree that this is a good idea. People like the ports system to
> be modular, without extra overhead for things that they don't want to
> use.

The problem seems to be that the actual extension manager can't be
worked easy with a port system.  There is a debian patchset, but I
don't thing this can be imported (official builds).

As one of the target features of aviary-1.1 is make the extension
manager work with 'just dropped' extensions.  This will make
firefox/thunderbird port possible again.

In the meantime, go to mail/thunderbird, do a 'make config install
clean' and get a localized, enigmail-enabled install may be of
interest.

But I also prefer a modular way.  Just I can't reach it.

> > I think that, while this don't reach the packages FreeBSD offer
> > (Builds in the package cluster with PACKAGE_BUILDING defined), this
> > is compatible with official builds.
> >
> > Also, I remember 0.89.6 xpi for FreeBSD-5.3 in
> > http://enigmail.mozdev.org/download.html
>
> Yes, I think it would be a good goal if $SOMEONE (which should
> probably be the gnome team) took it upon themselves to contact the
> mozdev guys and offered official builds of the stuff we have in our
> ports tree. It sounds like you have some good ideas as to how to
> adapt the ports we have to make some of this work, why don't you
> create some patches for discussion?

I thing this is of real interest.  Apart of some .xpi that need os/arch
specific bits, I'll glad to see some FreeBSD packages in the contrib/
and contrib-localized/ dirs of mozilla.org releases.

But my free time is very limited right now.

My actual plans go to get this working in local ports (time permitting)
and offer the final ports/packages/bits through my home ftp/web.

--
  josemi