Installing Ports

Ryan Lessl rmlessl at loyno.edu
Wed Mar 23 12:01:42 PST 2005

Hello, first of all I want to say that I am enjoying using
FreeBSD 4.11 Release.  I am a total novice at this but have
been learning a lot and am glad I finally canned Windows.  I
got very tired of it and have tried a very small Linux
distribution and now FreeBSD and they both worked/are
working better than Windows did on my machine (I've only got
FreeBSD installed currently).

Can you help me?

Okay, so I tried to install the AIM program by using the
command "make install" in the /usr/ports/net/aim/ directory,
and it did a bunch of stuff that I'm guessing is what you
call "compiling"...it downloaded stuff and wrote new folders
and files, and said it was registering the installation, and
told me it was all through when it was all through.  But I
can't figure out how to run the program.  I found the new
folders and files it created, including an "executable file"
called "aim" in a new "aim" folder, but I couldn't run it.
I tried clicking on it, running it from a terminal, and
running it from the KDE "Run Command" box, but none of that
worked.  Then I tried the "rehash" command like it suggested
in the online manual, but that didn't change the situation.
What do I need to do?  The installation html that it gives
me has specific instructions for all OSs except FreeBSD,
only an "other OSs" section, and I'm not real sure if what
that tells me to do is actually what I need to do.

Thanks,
Ryan