using procmail-3.22_4 pkg on FreeBSD 4.6.1

Kurt Bigler kkb at breathsense.com
Tue Mar 22 19:03:43 PST 2005

I have a FreeBSD virtual server with this version:

    FreeBSD 4.6.1-RELEASE-p10 (VPSHOST) #3: Wed Aug  7 06:17:46 EDT 2002

Yesterday I acquired procmail-3.22_4 via pkg_add from the FreeBSD site.  I
don't know why I ended up with _4 rather than _5 but I had a lot of
difficulty getting the package and I hope this is no issue.

I'm not sure if there are requirements about coordinating versions of
packages with versions of FreeBSD, I seem to recall that but can't find the
info now.

In any case, when I run formail (part of procmail) I get this error:

    ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found

Just for laughs I created /libexec and in it symbolic link to ld-elf.so.1
which on my system is located in /usr/libexec.

Upon doing that I get instead:

    /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libm.so.3" not found

at which point I gave up.

Should I expect the pkg to work correctly on my FreeBSD 4.6.1?

Please cc your reply to me directly.  Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Kurt Bigler