ntfsprogs under FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE not working?

Jilles Tjoelker jilles at stack.nl
Mon Mar 21 04:58:39 PST 2005

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:24:34PM +0100, Florent Thoumie wrote:
> Le Vendredi 18 mars 2005 à 09:25 -0800, Murray Stokely a écrit :
> > I'm having trouble using ntfsls from a recently built
> > sysutils/ntfsprogs port.  Is anyone successfully using this port?  The
> > package is only 230k when built without GNOME VFS support, but it just
> > doesn't seem to work.  I'd like to put this tool onto FreeBSD DVDs
> > (and CDs if it fits).

> 	This simple patch makes ntfsls work fine, but I don't think
> 	removing locks is a good solution.

> 	I'm cc'ing hackers@ to get review from people used to fcntl(2)
> 	interface.

Yes, devfs does not support file locks. And according to POSIX, support
for file locks on non-regular files is not mandatory. It also
seems the support cannot easily be added because the annoying issue
of the size of a device. Also this will not help you to get it running
on currently existing versions of FreeBSD.

That said, the locking is useful in case people run two ntfs programs at
the same time. You could use separate lockfiles but afaik there is no
standard for lockfiles for block devices (there is for serial ports).

--
Jilles Tjoelker