Qt applications hang

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Sun Mar 20 07:50:34 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 12:14:36PM +0100, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 11:30:29AM +0200, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> > On Sunday 20 March 2005 09:26, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> > >
> > > [For the record, every QT application hang immediately when some menu
> > > options are selected. The system is 5.4-PRERELEASE/amd64]
> >
> > I have 5.4-PRE on my work amd64 box (kernel/world built a few days ago) and
> > I'm running KDE from ports in it without apparent problems.
>
> The strange thing is, most of the things work (I have a user running kde from
> an X terminal and not complaining).
> Trying to open a file dialog (Location/Open Location in Konqueror) will
> howewer result in a freezed gui.
>
> There must be something locally broken, but so far I was unable to find it.

For the record, I have found a way to have the applications work as they
should.

I normally run windowmaker-0.91.0 as my window manager. With this wm,
qt applications freeze.

If I use X11 forwarding with 'ssh -X localhost' and log as myself, I get a
lot of errors in the controlling xterm such as these:

	X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
	Major opcode:  7
	Minor opcode:  0
	Resource id:  0x49

However, the application is perfectly functional. File/Open in scribus
opens a dialog and does not freeze the application window for example.

If I change the window manager in ~/.xinitrc, I don't need to use the ssh
trick. With KDE's wm or a sole xterm Qt applications run fine.

I am now pretty sure there is something fishy with windowmaker.

--
Francois Tigeot