Max recursion level (500) exceeded.

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Mar 19 07:31:02 PST 2005

Adam Weinberger <adamw at FreeBSD.org> writes:

> Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> >
> >> The problem lies in the gcc32 port. It redefines USE_GCC. It, and
> >> the other gcc ports, need not to do that.
> > IIRC gcc3.2 had a USE_GCC definition that its internal make stuff
> > needed whose existance predated the creation of bsd.gcc.mk which
> > introduced a USE_GCC variable intended to be used internal to the
> > ports framework which has different semantics.  AFAIK gcc32 has
> > been broken since that time.
> > I do not have time to test this hypothesis but would suggest trying
> > a patchset with s/USE_GCC/INTERNAL_USE_GCC/ or something.
> > It would be great if someone could investigate and fix this problem
>
> Here is a simple solution.
> First of all, OOo needs to remove the gcc32 BUILD_DEPENDS, and replace
> it with USE_GCC=3.2.

That's got to be the right thing anyway.

> Then, for each gcc port, simply replace the USE_GCC=2.7+ line with
> .undef USE_GCC

It still leaves the problem of needing at least gcc 2.7 to bootstrap,
but I suppose marking it broken for OSVERSION before 400012 is
reasonable at this date.

> If people want to test this, I'll commit it.

Sure; the GCC part works.  I haven't retested the OpenOffice build;
that's a bit too unwieldy for me to do at the moment.  I'll get to it
by early next week, if no one else does.

Be well.
        Lowell