Why does Xfce 4.2 have to query a DNS ?

Volker Stolz vs at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 16 01:21:33 PST 2005

In gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports, you wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:44:35 +0000 (UTC), Volker Stolz <vs at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> * Jon Drews <jon.drews at gmail.com>:
>> > So it looks like xfce4-session is trying to find a domain name server?
>> > I say that because /etc/services says that port 53 is for DNS.
>>
>> You should probably raise this issue with the original xfce-authors
>> (mailinglists?). We're just the packagers after all.
>
>  I did write them and the developer responded. Here is what he said:
>
> "xfsm-dns.c contains safety checks that are executed on session start."
>
> "The problem is Xterm itself - the client part of libICE, to be exact.
> Did you disable "Manage remote applications" in Settings -> Session and
> Startup -> Advanced? (xfce4-session needs to be restarted afterwards)"

You should probably talk to the port-maintainer (oliver@, cc:ing him right
now). Maybe it's possible to find a way to make this behaviour the default
at least for the FreeBSD-port. Or at least at a note to pkg-message.
However, I don't feel too strongly about it now that I know it's user-
configurable.

Volker
--
http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/stolz/ *** PGP *** S/MIME