complaint

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Tue Mar 15 16:04:05 PST 2005

On Tuesday, 15. March 2005 22:56, Chuck Robey wrote:

> My own suggestion?  Every port have an OPTIONS list, which is a variable
> that lists EVERY available makefile option, and naming be such that their
> use should be opbvious.

Well, the ports that do use OPTIONS are self-documenting already. Not every
port has been converted yet of course.

> Maybe, if it's not going too far, add a target
> that lists, port by port, the available options.  I personally think we
> should have fewer ports of higher quality.

Not a good approach. The trouble with compile-time switches that trigger
dependencies is that they do not translate to binary packages. And the
reverse approach - make a (slave-)port per option that changes dependencies
isn't desirable either - at least plenty of people have voiced the opinion
that this would result in just too many ports with too little gain in the
past.

Furthermore, most software just isn't designed to be easily compiled piecemeal
in an automated fashion - some software isn't even designed to deal with
adding and removing optional parts of it arbitrarily. You probably guessed it
by now: KDE's CUPS support is design-flawed like that. That's why
kdelibs-nocups is the best we can do about it right now.

And that's why it is indeed hard and difficult, more often than not, to do
these things.

The reasonable approach here is to identify where there's enough user-interest
in more granularity (easy enough to do, the complaints usually arrive by
mail-to-maintainer), analyze the feasibility of providing it, and then
eventually do it.

The unreasonable approach is, if I may say so, wide-sweeping bitching about
some allegedly easy-to-solve-yet-totally-not-addressed problems. The OPTIONS
framework does exist and is in use and port-maintainers are usually
cooperative when presented with legitimate concerns and reasonable proposals
made in the spirit of teamwork.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org