complaint

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Mar 15 12:16:35 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:05:25 -0500 (EST), Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org>
wrote:

> I have not complained aobout this for some years now, although it's
> really
> and truly been a thorn in my side ... but I thought, well, I am probably
> OK to complain once per decade.  Here is my bitch:
>
> Refers to ports that include the kitchen sink, and DON'T do it as
> options.
> The one that caused me to really bitch this time is gnome, and it's the
> printing option, but it's the same with KDE: they both FORCE you to
> install CUPS, which I abhor, and have the most horrible time with.  I
> personally am in love with Andreas' fantastic port print/apsfilter, and I
> just can't see why it's necessary to force folks to install this port.
> In
> my own opinion, one line in the pkg-descr that infomed about a
> gnome-print
> port wouild have been a whole lot better.

Add 'WITHOUT_CUPS=yes' w/out quote in your make.conf. I have GNOME
installed in my system and I don't even have any of CUPS installed. As for
KDE, I have no idea if it has option but if it has then it should be same
knob.

If you are talking about other than build/install, but itself apps that
don't provide any option then please contract to the developers. We are
just a packager.

> It's quite the same for audio, or many other apps.  Everyone seems to
> have
> this built in need to have their port be the biggest, like they're on
> piece vs. time pay or something, I dunno.
>
> It would not be hard, not be difficult, to fix things, and this would
> REALLY improve our ports.
>
> OK, I don't require folks agree with me, just that they listen, and I
> have
> herewith had my once-per-decade rant.  Back to being an occaisonal pita.

> Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
> chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.
>
> New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into
> looking up
> fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
> Signa Phi Nothing).

FreeBSD GNOME Team