Why does Xfce 4.2 have to query a DNS ?

Jon Drews jon.drews at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 11:56:05 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:34:53 -0600, Craig Boston <craig at yekse.gank.org> wrote:
> I don't know why xfce does this, but it's not the first time I've seen a
> similar problem.  ISTR an old GNOME pager applet that would send out
> lots of DNS queries when mousing over it...

 Yeah, I had tha problem too. Gnome is a wonderful desktop (I like Kde
too) but those sorts of problems were very frustrating to deal with.

> As a workaround, you may want to consider adding an entry to your
> /etc/hosts file for the local machine.  If your IP changes often (as it
> probably would on a modem connection), just put an entry for 127.0.0.1

I have this:

127.0.0.1    localhost localhost.silbsd.org notebook2.silbsd.org notebook2

and I can ping that by doing either $ ping notebook2  or
$ ping $(hostname)

 Thanks for the help though:)

                         Kind regards,
                         Jon