Changing username of postgresql port

Palle Girgensohn girgen at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 14 04:04:36 PST 2005

--On måndag, mars 14, 2005 21.59.28 +1100 Edwin Groothuis
<edwin at mavetju.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 11:43:59AM +0100, David Landgren wrote:
>> Clive Lin wrote:
>> > Hello Palle,
>> >
>> >    I have a proposal of changing PostgreSQL username, from 'pgsql' to
>> > 'postgres', or at least make it not hard-coded. The reason is trivial:
>> > consistency across other platforms. My case is, we have web
>>
>> Don't hard code it to something else. Make it configurable (with pgsql
>> as a default for backwards compatibility). For instance, I use 'pg' as
>> the Pg user name, so hard-coding it to 'postgres' doesn't buy me
>> anything.
>
> Suggested line of action:
>
> - Add	"PGOWN?= pgsql" to bsd.port.mk, just under WWWGRP definition.
> - Add	"PGGRP?= pgsql" to bsd.port.mk, just under WWWGRP definition.
>
> If you are really brave:
> - Add	"PGHOME?= ~${PGOWN}" to bsd.port.mk, just under WWWGRP definition.

A must, IMO.

> Then:
> - Do "grep -r pgsql postgresq*" in ports/databases and see what has
>   to be changed.
>
> And then:
> - make build, make install, make package, make deinstall, rm -rf
>   /usr/local/pgsql, pkg_add pgsqlpackage and check.
>

> This is not for people with a heart disease :-)

Oh, it's not *that* bad. Just sometimes you need to do Woodoo-like stuff to
get ~${USER} to evalutate. Other than, you need some time to mangle through
all the files and test, test, test... :)

> Also, please talk with girgen@ about it.

I'm in the loop. :-)  Right now, it's not on the top of my agenda though,
but as I said, if you send me patches I'll be much obliged :)

/Palle