Presenting GNOME 2.10 for FreeBSD

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun Mar 13 14:48:54 PST 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Adam Weinberger wrote:

> Tim Bishop wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 06:53:57AM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >
> >>As always, GNOME users should _not_ use portupgrade alone to upgrade to
> >>2.10.  Instead, get the gnome_upgrade.sh script from
> >>http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/gnome_upgrade.sh (note: you may have to
> >>wait for the website to sync before the script is updated for 2.10.  You
> >>can get the latest version at
> >>http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/gnome_upgrade29.sh if you don't want
> >>to wait).
> >

> > Not overly impressed so far. The upgrade script (the second link above)
> > carefully removed a long list of ports, then failed later on building
> > openoffice. I'm now left with a system that's nicely crippled.
> >
> > I can put it back together - but it doesn't seem that "safe".
>
> Your system isn't crippled, Tim. In /var/tmp, you have a file named
> gnome_upgrade_lst.XXXXX (the X's are random chars). All you have to do
> is fix the openoffice build problem -- or remove the openoffice line
> from that file, and do:
>
> gnome_upgrade.sh -restart /var/tmp/gnome_upgrade_lst.XXXXX
>
> and it will pick up where it left off.

This is nice info ... where is this script documented?  Other questions
pop to mind, like exactly what's happening in all those many, many
dependenciy questions, and when you say "delete", are you deleting files,
or entries in a list, or what, exactly?

That's a pretty intense script, it needs some documentation, I hope I just
missed it.

> # Adam

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).