[port update] print/foomatic-db; how to name the package with the current date

Pawel Wieleba P.Wieleba at iem.pw.edu.pl
Fri Mar 4 09:51:57 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 05:28:10PM +0200, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:04:32 +0100
> Pawel Wieleba <P.Wieleba at iem.pw.edu.pl> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I've posted a PR:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/78397
> >
> > Therefore I've got a question.
> > As stated on http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic.html
> > devel/foomatic-db is updated daily, therefore I would like to have an
> > up-to-date database during port installation (fetching) on my machine, not
> > just the date stated in devel/foomatic-db/Makefile.
> > I would like to do this automaticaly and I would like that this
> > information (meaning date) will be added to the created package name.
> >
> > Do you have an idea how to accomplish this?
> > It is very simple to download the current foomatic-db but I have no idea
> > how to include the date in the package name.
>
>  PKGNAMESUFFIX ?

I've alread checked it and I cannot use it like this:
PKGNAMESUFFIX=  -`date "+%Y%m%d"`
Simply - error;-)

> > It would be nice if
> > portupgrade could inform me if there is a newer database 'version'
> > available.
>
> portupgrade can't do it for you, since it has uses the information from
> Ports Collection Makefiles.

Of course, therefore I ask what mechanism I should use to enclose the date
to a Makefile.

> You could do a helper script that would download the db. You could put
> somewhere on you website a distinfo file and update it daily and make
> the port fetch it and add it to the distinfo.

Yes, but it's a lot of administrative duties, and probably useless.
The whole database is imported direrctly from CVS.

> --
> IOnut
> Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"

Thx for a comment.