OpenPAM Figwort broke PAM modules from ports

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 29 10:07:22 GMT 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:

> Would you, or some other commiter, mind putting a note in src/UPDATING
> about this please ?  This doesn't cost too much while preventing users
> from wasting time on understanding why their PAM module installed from
> ports don't work any longer when they are not specified with their full
> path.

Could you propose specific text to add to UPDATING, and I'll drop it in?
Perhaps something along the lines of the following:

 	Some previous versions of PAM have permitted the use of
 	non-absolute paths in /etc/pam.conf or /etc/pam.d/* when referring
 	to third party PAM modules in /usr/local/lib.  A change has been
 	made to require the use of absolute paths in order to avoid
 	ambiguity and dependence on library path configuration, which may
 	affect existing configurations.

Robert N M Watson