Can't get perl-after-upgrade to run

Christopher Kelley bsd at kelleycows.com
Sun Jun 26 06:42:05 GMT 2005

I just updated my perl5.8 from 5.8.6_2 to 5.8.7 and I can't get the
perl-after-upgrade utility to run.  It's really baffling me and I'm sure
I'll learn something new in this, but I've run out of ideas. I am logged
in as root.  I've tried "./perl-after-upgrade"  (in the
/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/files) directory and it says
"./perl-after-upgrade: Command not found"  I thought maybe it was
something with the dashes in the name, so I renamed it with the same
result.  I copied it to my /root subdirectory and tried the original
name and a new name with the same result, even though a couple scripts I
wrote run just fine from /root.  I checked the permissions and they are
-rwxr-xr-x.

The only thing that "worked" was to run "sh perl-after-upgrade" but I
get an error:

root at lion:/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/files# sh perl-after-upgrade
=pod: not found
=head1: not found
Unknown option `--'
Usage:
        perl-after-upgrade
        perl-after-upgrade -v
        perl-after-upgrade -f
=head1: not found
fastest_cvsup-0.2.9_1: 0 moved, 0 modified, 0 adjusted
portupgrade-20041226_4: 0 moved, 0 modified, 0 adjusted
-
---
Fixed 0 packages (0 files moved, 0 files modified)
Skipped 21 packages
fastest_cvsup-0.2.9_1: 0 moved, 0 modified, 0 adjusted
portupgrade-20041226_4: 0 moved, 0 modified, 0 adjusted
/
---
Fixed 0 packages (0 files moved, 0 files modified)
Skipped 21 packages
perl-after-upgrade version 1.2
=head1: not found
perl-after-upgrade: 26: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
Exit 2
root at lion:/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/files#

And, if I type "sh perl-after-upgrade -f"  I get the EXACT same output
as above, leading me to believe it is ignoring the -f option.

I'm stumped.  or is this the expected output and I'm too dense to
understand it?

Christopher