Second screen of dual-head comes up blank on 1st startx

Steven Friedrich FreeBSD at InsightBB.com
Tue Jun 21 06:13:57 GMT 2005

On Monday 20 June 2005 03:40 pm, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On June 20, 2005 2:23:08 PM -0400 Steven Friedrich
>
> <FreeBSD at InsightBB.com> wrote:
> > Since a recent portupgrade to XFree86 Version 4.5.0, my second head is
> > coming  up blank.  Closing down X and restarting X brings it back up.
> >
> > From the logs:
> > % diff XFree86.0.log*
> > 16c16
> > < (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Jun 20 14:17:36 2005
> > ---
> >
> >> (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Jun 20 14:16:37 2005
> >
> > 851a852,855
> >
> >> (II) Entity 0 shares no resources
> >> (II) Entity 1 shares no resources
> >> (II) Entity 0 shares no resources
> >> (II) Entity 1 shares no resources
> >
> > Anybody else seen this behaviour?
>
> I have a similar problem with Xorg 6.8.2 on FBSD 5.4.  When X is first
> started, or when I log out and back in, the right screen is blank.  I have
> to put the system to sleep (by changing the settings to 1 minute) and then
> wake it back up to get the right screen to display.

I forgot to mention that I'm running a dual-head on a Matrox G550.  I had
previously been using mga_hal, but wasn't sure if I needed it after reading a
readme supplied with the mga_hal port.  I had previously gotten two files
from the Matrox web site for my card.  mga_hal only supplies one of them.
Anyway, reinstalling the mga_hal port cures my blank second head problem.

--
i386 FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE
There are 10 types of people in this world. Ones that understand binary and