Bug in #! processing - "pear broken on current"

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at sigpipe.cz
Fri Jun 10 10:48:33 GMT 2005

# flz at xbsd.org / 2005-06-10 10:06:46 +0200:
> On Jun 10, 2005, at 8:24 AM, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> ># gad at FreeBSD.org / 2005-06-09 12:37:20 -0400:
> >>and now php is being started with:
> >>
> >>           [0] ->  /usr/local/bin/php
> >>           [1] ->  -n -q -dsafe_mode=0 -doutput_buffering=1
> >>           [2] ->  /usr/local/bin/name-of-script
> >>        [3...] ->  parameters specified by user
> >>
> >>Assuming 'php' does not know what to do when all those options are
> >>glommed together in a single argument, then the above script would
> >>not work right on any other operating systems either.  The change
> >>I made on the 28th gets FreeBSD to work more like other OS's when
> >>it comes to parsing that #!-line in scripts.
> >
> >    The pear people have hacked around the other OS's limitations.
> >
> >    This change makes FreeBSD lose one small but fine competitive
> >    advantage over other unix-like systems. Pity.
>
>     FreeBSD needed special handling, no it doesn't anymore.
>
>     I'm not sure that's losing a *competitive* advantage.

    The previous behavior in FreeBSD allowed me to use things on
    the shebang line that weren't possible in e. g. Linux, and I enjoyed
    it, because it saved me from various hacks. Aiming for the lowest
    common denominator means losing useful features. One reason to
    prefer FreeBSD less.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.