Why was wxgtk removed?

Craig Boston craig at yekse.gank.org
Wed Jun 1 14:33:57 GMT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 03:48:41PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 12:52:46PM -0500, Craig Boston wrote:
> > What happened to the wxgtk port?  I was just about to update the
> > Audacity port to use the GTK1 version of wxgtk as it seems to be a lot
> > more stable, but it's been removed.
>
> Check the CVS commit logs.

Well, okay, that was the first thing I did, but here we go:

------------------
CVS log for ports/x11-toolkits/wxgtk/Attic/Makefile
Changes since 1.47: +1 -1 lines
FILE REMOVED

Finish repo copy of wxgtk 2.4.2 ports to wxgtk24*
-------------------

Following that chain:

------------------
CVS log for ports/x11-toolkits/wxgtk24/Makefile
Changes since 1.47: +6 -48 lines

Finish repo copy of wxgtk 2.4.2 ports to wxgtk24*
-------------------

Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't really explain why
pre-repo-copy wxgtk ports supported both GTK1 and GTK2, but
post-repo-copy the GTK1 support has been removed.

Yes, I know that GTK1 is considered obsolete, but unfortunately not all
outside software has caught up (and GTK 1.2 _is_ still in the ports
tree).

Before you ask, Audacity has been promising full GTK2 support for quite
a while now, but it still hasn't happened.  As it is, it _sort of_ works
but isn't really stable (try double-clicking on the track menu a few
times quickly and enjoy the nice sig11).

The sad part of it all is that wx is SUPPOSED to be toolkit-independent.

I'm more than willing to do the work of putting together a wx/GTK1 slave
port if it would be accepted.  However if there was a good reason it was
removed I don't want to step on anybody's toes...

Thanks,
Craig