New port with maintainer ports@FreeBSD.org [was: Question about maintainers]

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 29 11:12:52 GMT 2005

Lupe Christoph píše v pá 29. 07. 2005 v 12:59 +0200:
> Quoting Pav Lucistnik <pav at freebsd.org>:
> > Paul Schmehl pí¹e v èt 28. 07. 2005 v 16:31 -0500:
>
> > > Thanks, Scot.  That's helpful to know.  I wasn't aware, for example, that
> > > anyone could submit PRs for a broken port.
>
> > Please don't do that, unless you also submit a fix.
>
> > Because committers are few and usually are not very familiar with the
> > given broken port. Such PRs tend to be left untouched for years and then
> > swept under the carpet too often.
>
> I see such PRs as useful. At least the save effort for people having
> the same problem, pointing them to a known deficiency. And they *might*
> still get fixed.

In theory, yes.

In practice, majority of them never see a single followup and all they
serve for is to keep GNATS numbers high.

We should have a gang of people scouring GNATS, reproducing problems and
obtaining more details from submitters and maintainers. We don't have
such people now.

Whole another deal is if we should be fixing flaws in the software
itself, or even adding new features. I'm personally strongly against
this - ports should limit itself to package the software properly,
nothing more.

If someone submit a PR about some FTP server wrongly transcoding
cyrillic filenames, what should *we* do about it?

That's authors job.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>