Question about iwidgets port

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Jul 25 16:24:36 GMT 2005

I'm working on a new port that requires iwidgets.  Iwidgets is being
checked for and installed if if's not listed.  However, when I try to start
the program (which is a tk script using wish8.4) the script complains that
iwidgets isn't installed.

Here's the error:

ERROR: Cannot fine the Iwidgets extension.
The iwidgets package is part of the incr tcl extension and is
available as a port/package most systems.
See http://www.tcltk.com/iwidgets/ for more info.

The script uses package require, which appears (to me) to be the correct
syntax.

# Load iwidgets and namespaces
if [catch {package require Iwidgets} iwidgetsVersion] {
  puts "ERROR: Cannot fine the Iwidgets extension."
  puts "The iwidgets package is part of the incr tcl extension and is"
  puts "available as a port/package most systems."
  puts "See http://www.tcltk.com/iwidgets/ for more info."
  exit
}

So I assume this is some sort of pathing or env error.  I've been googling
for a while, but there's a paucity of documentation on the web about tcl
and tk, and I haven't found anything addressing this sort of problem.

The install of iwidgets doesn't run ldconfig, so I'm assuming this isn't a
library registration error, but any help on tracking this down would be
very much appreciated.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas