xemacs & emacs ports should tweak rc.conf.

Mike Meyer mwm-dated-1122579131.ef0996 at mired.org
Sat Jul 23 19:31:42 GMT 2005

In working on a port of Pymacs, I found Mk/bsd.emacs.mk. It sets a lot
of useful variables based on the value of the EMACS_PORT_NAME
variable, and provides hooks to control adding emacs to the ports
various depends lists.

It would seem that a fair number of ports don't know about this, and
either depend on a specific version of emacs (and it's disconcerting
to install a port, and have it start installing another emacs), or
provide hooks for both emacs and xemacs.

I'd like to propose that the various emacs ports set this variable in
/etc/make.conf when they are installed. As precedent, the perl ports
do this now. They also provide a "use.perl" script that does this,
makes emacs a symlink to the appropriate binary, and cleans up the man
path as well. A similar tool for emacsen might be useful, but I'm not
at all sure of everything it should do.

I'd be happy to take on doing this, if enough people - especially
those with ports commit bits - thought it was a good idea.

	<mike

P.S. - i'm not a ports@ subscriber. Please Cc: me on any followups.