GeoIP integration with Ports

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at people.tecnik93.com
Sat Jul 23 09:49:20 GMT 2005

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 00:11:05 +0200
Pav Lucistnik <pav at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Heya,
>
> I knocked together a rather simple script which resorts download
> locations according to their geographical distance from your computer,
> using GeoIP. You will always download the distfile from the nearest
> mirror now.
>
> It's more of a demonstration than practical thing, since the nearest
> mirror is not always the fastest one, and the needed database of
> locations is commercial.
>
> Who's interested in the idea, feel free to check out
>
> http://www.oook.cz/bsd/geoip-ports.html
>
> Comments welcomed.

Ex-eik's@ devel/portmk has, among other things this feature and a more
interesting one based on net/fping; with the latest the fetch time is
0.3-0.5 lower. Unfortunately the port is out-of-sync with the bsd.*.mk
and some ports are broken if using it. Optimising distfiles fetching
is on my to do list, but I'm terribly lacking the time tight now (and
in the last 2 months).

Please keep me posted on this subject.

Thanks,

--