[headsup] new installation of portsmon available

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Wed Jul 20 18:14:33 GMT 2005

Thanks to Erwin Lansing's loan of a system, a new installation of
portsmon, the FreeBSD Ports Monitoring System, is now available.  See
http://portsmon.droso.net .

For porters who are relatively new to FreeBSD, here's a summary of what
portsmon does: it takes as its inputs a populated source tree, a copy
of the GNATS database, and the build errorlogs on the ports build cluster
at http://pointyhat.FreeBSD.org , and processes them into a database.
Pages are provided to be able to run such queries as 'overview of
complete status for one port', 'status of all ports for one maintainer',
'problem reports for existing ports', 'ports marked with an expiration
date', 'ports with maintainer updates', and many others.

GNATS does not have a concept of 'port' or 'port maintainer', so the
portsmon code attempts to look into each PR and try to assign it to
either a category/portname, or as a 'framework' or 'repocopy' PR.  Since
GNATS input is human-keystroke-given, it can be difficult to determine
exactly which port is affected by a particular PR.  In general the
algorithm gets the right answer about 95% of the time; I audit the
results about once a day and manually correct the rest.  However, there
will always be a few misidentifications.  (To minimize this, I would
like to ask that PR submitters include the category/portname string in
their Synopsis.)

Although I've tried to test all the pages, I'm sure there are still
rough edges; in particular, I may have missed some of the PR assignments.
If you find something wrong, please let me know off-list and I'll try to
take a look at it.

Thanks,
Mark Linimon
linimon at FreeBSD.org/linimon at lonesome.com