devel/pwlib and net/openh323 update coming

Joerg Pulz Joerg.Pulz at frm2.tum.de
Wed Jul 20 07:41:45 GMT 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Steve Ames wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 03:52:48PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Joerg Pulz <Joerg.Pulz at frm2.tum.de> wrote:
>>
>>> i spent a lot of time the past days/weeks to update the devel/pwlib
>>> and net/openh323 port to a more recent version.
>
> I haven't looked at the patches yet but I'm curious why you chose the
> versions you did? pwlib 1.9.0 is development branch (aka Atlas) as is
> openh323 1.17.1. (Although a new development release 1.9.1/1.17.2 was
> released today). I was shooting for getting the Stable (Mimas) release
> (currently 1.8.5/1.15.4 although another release is scheduled in about
> 2 weeks that has bug fixes in it from Atlas, some BSD specific).
>
> Did you have specific need of the Atlas branch?

I have no specific need for the Atlas branch. i think it was more or less
an accident. I tried both, the Mimas and the Atlas release and found the
same bugs.
If one compiles devel/pwlib with -O2 all applications linked against the
dynamic library will core dump, at least when the apllication is closed.
This happens somewhere in "PSoundFactory" and i dont really know why.
Videoinput via /dev/bktr is broken in Mimas and Atlas, which i think is
definitely a showstopper.
Anyway, i'm fine with Mimas, if we can solve the -O2 bug and the
/dev/bktr bug.

> The PR I submitted only addresses pwlib and openh323. Your patch covers
> other ports which is great. I'd had a couple of patches (e.g. gatekeeper)
> to update to current version and utilize newer pwlib/openh323 but mainly
> was going to wait until pwlib/openh323 where in the tree.

my intention was to completely remove the old static pwlib/openh323 stuff
and upgrade to the newer version with switching to dynamic linking.
The ports i touched are important to me so i included them in my
patchwork. I brought net/gatekeeper to v2.2.2 some weeks ago and i have a
patch ready to get it to v2.2.3, but i'm waiting for the pwlib/openh323
upgrade too.
I think, if we have a final patchset ready we should send it at least to
the net/asterisk and net/gnomemeeting maintainers to give them a chance to
provide patches for these ports which respect the new dynamic
infrastructure.
All other ports, especially the ones which do not even compile and 5.X and
greater should be marked as broken and scheduled for removal if noone
provides any patches for them.

>>> You can get it at:
>>> ftp://ftp.frm2.tum.de/pub/jpulz/FreeBSD/pwlib_openh323-20050719.patch
>>> The md5 checksum is:
>>> MD5 (pwlib_openh323-20050719.patch) = 889c6cce0824c25d96aa935c0cdb99b6
>
> I'll take a look at these today or tomorrow. Koop is the go to guy at
> the moment. I believe he has a pthread concern that he's trying to solve
> before doing this update. Perhaps your patches already address that?

I'm not sure about this, maybe this is the same thing i hit when compiling
with -O2?

Joerg

- --
The beginning is the most important part of the work.
 				-Plato