/var/db/pkg deleted..what to do?

Chris Haulmark chris at sigd.net
Tue Jul 19 19:05:44 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 13:52 -0500, Chris Haulmark wrote:
> What is the best suggestion to a friend who runs a FreeBSD workstation.
>
> He tried to delete mysql completely but deleted /var/db instead
> of /var/db/mysql
>
> He has dozens of packages installed from the ports.  He mainly uses
> gnome2 and several other major applications...it would be a pain to
> reinstall everything while he is depending on his memory of what he had
> installed in the first place.
>
> Chris

An update.

I am playing around with using portsdb -rR pkg_name.  What I installed
is a major package like gnome and it listed several other packages that
can be reinstalled with portupgrade -f.

I am still open for any suggestions to rebuild the package database
without having to recompile or pkg_add everything.

Chris