FreeBSD Port: vnc-4.1.1

Mike Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Sun Jul 17 02:11:14 GMT 2005

Jack L. wrote:

 > On 7/16/05, Dennis Kirschner <dennis at carpe.net> wrote:
 >
 >> I just did a "make install clean" on the VNC port and the
 >> installation immediately goes out to download the sources
 >> for XFree86 4.3.0, as though my system (5.4-RELEASE-p4)
 >> is running x.org <http://x.org> 6.8.2.
 >>
 >> Is it supposed to do that? XFree86 is not listed as a
 >> dependency of the /net/vnc/ port.

 > Yes, I'ved noticed it does that as well. I think it's
 > supposed to do that, but it would be nice if it used xorg.

Yes, it's supposed to do that.  RealVNC's build requires
that version of the X source to be present when building the
vncserver.  It's not installing any separate parts of XF86
on your system, as far as I can tell; it's merely using the
source code in its own build process.

Note that other VNC clones, such as TightVNC (which I use)
don't have this behavior; this suggests it might be possible
to swap out XF86 for Xorg and still get a working RealVNC.
There's no X_SOURCE_FILES or anything similar in
bsd.port.mk, so vnc's Makefile would need a condition on
X_WINDOW_SYSTEM added to it directly.  I may try this later
to see if it works.

--
-- Mike

Still using IE? Get Firefox!