dict ports suggestion

Dima Dorfman dd at freebsd.org
Sat Jul 16 09:31:00 GMT 2005

h <h at erathia.be> wrote:
> On Saturday 16 July 2005 05:57, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > h <h at erathia.be> wrote:
> > > i think dict should default to |more in a xterm
> >
> > I've seen this behavior on several other systems (with dict and other
> > utilities), and I really, really don't like it.
>
> some words have so big descriptions from several dictionnaries, plus a couple
> xtermful of thesaurus synonyms, the xterm scrollbar runs out. and the most
> relevant definitions are always at the beginning.

If you don't need all of those definitions, you can use the -d option
to select which database to query. You can also, if you like, increase
the scrollback buffer in your xterm.

> in the meantime how can i alias dict * to dict|more * (not using another
> command as dict)?

In csh, you can do this:

  alias dict '\dict \!* | more'

If you use another shell, I'm sure its manual describes how to do
achieve the same thing.