FreshPorts - newsfeed for your watch ports?

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Wed Jul 6 17:51:50 GMT 2005

Would a news feed for your watched ports be useful?

It would require that you be logged in while fetching the news feed.
I don't know the best way to accomplish that. If you fetch the news
feed via wget or something like that, you're not going to be logged
in etc.

Many browsers, such as Opera, and Firefox, will fetch the news feed
for you. If you're logged into FreshPorts, and your cookie is set,
that fetch will work for you. If you're not, the fetch will result in
a 403 (Forbidden), or something.

Questions:

1 - do you want this?
2 - what's a good way to accomplish this?

Other considerations: news.php now represents 13% of the website
traffic. Adding yet more newsfeeds may increase traffic. It'd be nice
to have a way to limit that. Mind you, with accounts, I can check
when you last fetched it, and Just Say No.

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/