ATLAS, Prescott(P4E) and CPU detection by sysctl hw.model

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at portaone.com
Fri Jul 1 05:22:30 GMT 2005

You can do it by writing small assembler routine which uses cpuid
instruction. This instruction is not privileged, so that you should not
have any problems with using it from the user-level program. Refer to
Intel documentation regarding how to use it properly. Also you can check
/sys/i386/i386/identcpu.c to see how to use it from the C code.

-Maxim