FreeBSD perl 5.8.5

Nagilum freebsd at nagilum.org
Mon Jan 31 23:23:44 PST 2005

Alexander wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm having trouble installing perl on a fresh installed FreeBSD5.3, the build
>works but when it comes to the install, things break at a certain point:
>after most of the install:
>/bin/mkdir -p //usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5/BSDPAN/ExtUtils
>install  -o root -g wheel -m 444
>/var/tmp/cakebox/ports/lang/perl5.8/work/BSDPAN-5.8.5/ExtUtils/Packlist.pm
>//usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5/BSDPAN/ExtUtils/Packlist.pm
>Out of memory during request for 18200 bytes, total sbrk() is 409927680 bytes!
>Callback called exit at //usr/local/bin/h2ph line 7.
>END failed--call queue aborted at //usr/local/bin/h2ph line 37.
>Callback called exit at //usr/local/bin/h2ph line 37.

Ok, problem solved, this was two headed:
1) my LOCALBASE was //usr/local (note the double slash at the beginning)
2) a bug in BSDPAN

The BSDPAN bug was uncovered and fixed by Anton, it will be fixed in
todays commit of perl 5.8.6 (was it?).
Why my LOCALBASE has two slashes at the beginning remains a mystery,
I've now set it explicitly to /usr/local in /etc/make.conf.
Thanks a lot to Anton for the quick reaction and good work!
Kind regards,
Alex.