Proposed patch to inform users of fetchindex

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at people.tecnik93.com
Mon Jan 31 16:31:49 PST 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:56:26 -0800 (PST)
Doug Barton <DougB at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:58:50 +0100
> > Kirill Ponomarew <krion at voodoo.oberon.net> wrote:

> > Faster - yes, better - no.
>
> For the average user that just wants an up to date index, it's
> definitely better.
>
> > IMHO saying this is equivalent to saying that one should use GENERIC
> > kernel.
>
> Um, no, the two things are not even close to equivalent. Anyone who
> wants/needs to dig deeply enough into the ports infrastructure that they
> must build a cusomized index file

It seems to me there is the need to dig is not that big. You just have
to use OPTIONS or ports that detect installed ports and pick them as
dependencies. And the fetched index does not reflect the local installed
ports.

And I'm sure I had to dig much more for customizing kernels that for
customizing ports :)

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"