Proposed patch to inform users of fetchindex

Doug Barton DougB at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 31 15:58:34 PST 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:58:50 +0100
> Kirill Ponomarew <krion at voodoo.oberon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:39:16PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
>>> I can't help but think that the majority of users try to build their own
>>> index because they don't know that there is a better alternative
>
> Faster - yes, better - no.

For the average user that just wants an up to date index, it's
definitely better.

> IMHO saying this is equivalent to saying that one should use GENERIC
> kernel.

Um, no, the two things are not even close to equivalent. Anyone who
wants/needs to dig deeply enough into the ports infrastructure that they
must build a cusomized index file is welcome to all the pain that comes
with that endeavor. Once again, for the average user (and I count myself
in that camp for this purpose), 'make fetchindex' is what they really
need, and we should make it easier for them to find it.

Doug