Ports foot-shooting revealed! (learning the hard way ...)

Antoine Brodin antoine.brodin at laposte.net
Mon Jan 31 15:11:28 PST 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:18:46 -0600
Tillman Hodgson <tillman at seekingfire.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:48:11PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> >
> > ># cd /usr/pots/security/tor
> > >bash: cd: usr/pots/security/tor: No such file or directory
> >
> > echo 'shopt -s cdspell' >> ~/.bashrc
>
> Already in my ~/.bashrc for my user, but not for root[1]. Along with
> bash-completion, portinstall, and a bunch of other things that I've
> been emailed about off-list. I'm fairly familiar with my tools of
> choice ;-)
>
> The problem isn't my less-than-glorious typing abilities[2], it's that
> running `make install` from /usr/ports does something unexpected and
> annoying. Note that I'm not asking for it to be "fixed" because I'm
> not convinced that it's broken. It makes sense in hindsight, so
> there's an argument that it's the correct thing to do. But it's
> unexpected and potentially service interrupting (disks get full, etc).
>
> So at the risk of turning this into a "learn how to type, you idiot"
> discussion I wanted to get something into the archives so that other
> folks would have awareness of it and perhaps consider workarounds like
> `cd foo/bar && make install`, portinstall, cdspell, or whatever else
> works for them.

This is not a bug, there's this advice in the freebsd handbook shipped
with freebsd 4.8:

  I really do not want to spend all day staring at the monitor.  Any
  better ideas?
  OK, do this before you go to bed/work/the local park:
  # cd /usr/ports
  # make -DBATCH install
  This will install every port that does not require user input.

Cheers,

Antoine