[HEADS UP] perl symlinks in /usr/bin will be gone

Lupe Christoph lupe at lupe-christoph.de
Sun Jan 30 03:08:15 PST 2005

On Sunday, 2005-01-30 at 11:53:23 +0100, Kirill Ponomarew wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:47:32AM +0100, Holger Kipp wrote:
> > > I'm fine with this plan for 6-CURRENT.  For 5-STABLE, it's a major
> > > user-visible change, and that is something that we promised to avoid
> > > with stable branches.

> > It violates POLA on 5-STABLE, and it will violate POLA on 6-CURRENT,
> > especially as most perl programmers assume /usr/bin/perl to be the
> > correct path.

> If it's linux tradition to put perl in this path, perl programmers
> should assume another path on FreeBSD, so it isn't an argument for
> the proposed change.

It's a Perl tradition. Configure even asks you if you want to create
this symlink, and AFAIR it defaults to yes.

All systems I maintain, Solaris, Linux, and FreeBSD have /usr/bin/perl,
and all examples I know use it. Removing it will cause unnecessary
breakage, and lots of complaints, especially to the port maintainer and
this mailing list.

Luep Christoph
--
| lupe at lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| Ask not what your computer can do for you                              |