[HEADS UP] perl symlinks in /usr/bin will be gone

Anton Berezin tobez at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 29 13:08:50 PST 2005

[ok, returning it to ports@ too, there might be some interest]

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 01:03:52PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:59:40PM +0100, Anton Berezin wrote:
>
> > > BTW, this goes beyond what I was asking for, which was just "remove
> > > the dangling symlinks when the package is deinstalled [because they
> > > are now nonfunctional]"
> >
> > True.  Do you oppose to this change, and if yes, why?
>
> It seems pretty disruptive, especially to users of the -stable branch,
> and I'm not sure there's a good reason for doing it.

The thing is, that the whole idea of touching /usr/bin at all made sense
when perl was in the base system and we needed a way to "replace" it
with a version from ports.

Since we don't have it in the base for quite some time, there is no good
reason to continue cluttering /usr/bin with those symlinks.  So this
needs to be done eventually, and this seemed as good time as any to
introduce this change.

\Anton.
--
The moronity of the universe is a monotonically increasing function. --
Jarkko Hietaniemi