Kernel module path for ports?

Craig Boston craig at yekse.gank.org
Fri Jan 28 17:04:39 PST 2005

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 2:32 am, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > $PREFIX/lib/$PORTNAME
> better ${PREFIX}/libexec/...

libexec seems like the logical choice, but so far I've not found any ports
that put kernel modules there. (to make things easier I'm only looking at
ones that have static pkg-plist files)

> > $PREFIX/modules
> Not an option

By far the majority of ports use this location.  I don't particularly like it
because it's not there in a fresh install, nor is it mentioned in
BSD.local.dist or hier(7).

> > $PREFIX/share/$PORTNAME
> modules are arch-specific.  Can't go under ${PREFIX}/share/

ltmdm uses this, which is the port I initially used as a skeleton.  There are
a couple others as well: comms/mwavem and sysutils/pmap.

I'll go with lib/$PORTNAME for now as it seems to be a decent compromise.
It's easy enough to change should a clear standard emerge.

NOTE: I previously said I was using an rcNG script to load the module.  Upon
further thought, that's unworkable for this particular port.  It's a USB
device driver -- if the device is plugged in at boot, ugen will grab it
before the script ever gets a chance to load the driver.  So the install
script must copy it to /boot/modules and print a note on how to set up
loader.conf.

Thanks for your input!
Craig