FreeBSD Port: foomatic-filters-3.0.2

Jonathan Weiss tomonage2 at gmx.de
Fri Jan 28 05:05:19 PST 2005

Hi Michael,

> On Friday, 28. January 2005 12:57, Jonathan Weiss wrote:
>> Hi!
>>

>> I just saw that you commited a foomatic-filters port.
>> Maybe you can have a look at ports/76249. This is a more complex port for
>> foomatic-filters that also registers itself as a cups-filter if cups is
>> present.
>
> All the exists(foo) checking is rather bad style, I'd like to keep that out of
> the port (the package will install all the bits into the right locations in
> my port, but not pull in any runtime dependencies - if the user needs a file
> conversion filter, he can just add the package).

I included it because foomatic-filters does not need enscript, cups, mpage
and a2ps to build, one of then will fo the job. This was the best solution I
had.

> I'll add the cups-filter bit, I assumed foomatic-filters would do that
> automatically but apparently it doesn't.

I cannot comment on your solution but according to
http://www.linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html

You need to put a symlink in cups/filters in ordner to register foomatic as
a cups-filter.

> In what scenario is fdescfs needed to work properly? I've been using
> foomatic-rip / foomatic-gswrapper on my own systems for a while now without
> fdescfs and didn't have problems.

I included it because of this thread:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=352379+0+archive/2005/freebsd-s
table/20050116.freebsd-stable