Gimp-2.2.2 wants freetype-2.1.7; but I already have ?!?!

spam maps spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 04:06:30 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:44:26PM -0800, spam maps
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have:
>   gimp-2.2.2,1
>   freetype2-2.1.7_4
>
> When I start gimp, I get a dialog that says:
>
>    FreeType too old!
>    The GIMP requires FreeType version 2.1.7 or
later.
>    Installed FreeType version is 2.1.4.
>
>    Somehow you or your software packager managed
>    to install The GIMP with an older FreeType
>    version.
>
>    Please upgrade to FreeType version 2.1.7 or
later.

> What the hack is going on here?
> I have FreeType 2.1.7, but Gimp doesn't want to see
> it?

I've got some more info on the installation of gimp:

# cd /usr/ports/graphics/gimp
# make configure
[...]
checking for freetype-config... \
        /usr/local/bin/freetype-config
checking for freetype libraries... \
        -L/usr/local/lib -lfreetype -lz
[...]
# /usr/local/bin/freetype-config --version
9.5.3
# ls -l /usr/local/lib/*free*
[...]/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.a
[...]/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so -> libfreetype.so.9
[...]/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.9

All that freetype2 stuff is recent, from 2.1.7_4.
There should be no reason why gimp complains that
2.1.4 is still installed.

Something seems to have been messed up here.

I have some suspicion about recent upgrade of
freetype 2.1.7. But what is it?

Rob.