glibc

Pedro F. Giffuni giffunip at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 17:49:07 PST 2005

Hi Robert;

I suspect I was the one that suggested this :). The reasons why I thought it
might be interesting was that we were carrying complete cross development
toolkits for SCO unix and Linux and having this as a port would actually help
developers sort out issues porting to other platforms. I've actually lost
interest in cross porting since then.

I'm glad glibc has been ported to the BSDs although quite honestly I wouldn't
expect anyone might be interested in using it for native applications because
the native FreeBSD libc has evolved significantly (and for political and
technical reasons that I prefer not to detail right now). I don't think you
have worked on threads yet, right? Will the BSD port be folded into the base
glibc distribution?

I would like to do the port but unfortunately I don't have the time, plus I
would prefer if someone at debian.org maintains it. The advantage is, of
course, that you would get feedback on any issues that appear on any FreeBSD
version or platforms via pointyhat.FreeBSD.org.

cheers,

    Pedro.