portsdb -U causes reboot with custom kernel, but not GENERIC

Christopher & Rachel Kelley inbox at kelleycows.com
Mon Jan 17 13:32:06 PST 2005

I've been having a heck of time trying to get portsdb to work under 4.x.
I've spent a lot of time going through the list archives, and the list
archive says a fix was applied to 4-stable, but I'm still having
problems with portsdb..

Using 4.11-RC2, or 4.11-STABLE portsdb -U works, ONLY if I use the
GENERIC kernel.  If I build the world & kernel and install (doing the
appropriate mergemaster steps in single user) with my kernel
configurarion, it reboots in the middle.  Unfortunately, I'm not exactly
a guru here, and neither the script command nor redirect has captured
the output just before it reboots. I presume there is another way that I
just don't know about.  Also, it doesn't consistently reboot.at the same
time and every time I decided to sit down in front of it and watch it,
it decides to take a long time to fail.  This is on a P233/mmx, so it
takes a while to run the whole process.  If I change the PORTS_DBDRIVER
and PKG_DBDRIVER to bdb1_hash in pkgtools.conf, I get the same results.

I admit I haven't tried the solution of changing the ruby port, because
I'm unsure of how to handle the pkgdb -F query to change the dependency
for just portupgrade or for all ports.  I'm unsure of the overall
implications of selecting either option, or if I even need to change the
dependency.  There was a message warning to remove ruby18 if one
installed the other ruby port, but it was a rather cryptic warning.

 I can't fathom why it should work with GENERIC but not my
configuration, especially since portsdb is the only program that causes
the reboot.  Here is my configuration file:  (I also tried building
without apm as a shot in the dark with the same results)

# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.246.2.62 2004/12/08 22:33:10
rsm Exp $

machine    i386
cpu        I586_CPU
ident        GENERIC
maxusers    0

#options     MATH_EMULATE        #Support for x87 emulation
options     INET            #InterNETworking
#options     INET6            #IPv6 communications protocols
options     FFS            #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options     FFS_ROOT        #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options     SOFTUPDATES        #Enable FFS soft updates support
options     UFS_DIRHASH        #Improve performance on big directories
options     MFS            #Memory Filesystem
#options     MD_ROOT            #MD is a potential root device
options     NFS            #Network Filesystem
#options     NFS_ROOT        #NFS usable as root device, NFS required
options     MSDOSFS            #MSDOS Filesystem
options     CD9660            #ISO 9660 Filesystem
#options     CD9660_ROOT        #CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660 required
options     PROCFS            #Process filesystem
options     COMPAT_43        #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
#options     SCSI_DELAY=15000    #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options     UCONSOLE        #Allow users to grab the console
options     USERCONFIG        #boot -c editor
options     VISUAL_USERCONFIG    #visual boot -c editor
options     KTRACE            #ktrace(1) support
options     SYSVSHM            #SYSV-style shared memory
options     SYSVMSG            #SYSV-style message queues
options     SYSVSEM            #SYSV-style semaphores
options     P1003_1B        #Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options     _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options     ICMP_BANDLIM        #Rate limit bad replies
options     KBD_INSTALL_CDEV    # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options     AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                    # output.  Adds ~128k to driver.
options     AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                    # output.  Adds ~215k to driver.

options     RANDOM_IP_ID

options        DEVICE_POLLING
options        HZ=2000

device        isa
device        pci

# Floppy drives
device        fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device        fd0    at fdc0 drive 0
device        fd1    at fdc0 drive 1

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device        ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device        ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device        ata
device        atadisk            # ATA disk drives
device        atapicd            # ATAPI CDROM drives
options     ATA_STATIC_ID        #Static device numbering

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device        atkbdc0    at isa? port IO_KBD
device        atkbd0    at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device        psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12

device        vga0    at isa?

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device    splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device        sc0    at isa? flags 0x100

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device        npx0    at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
device        apm0        # Advanced Power Management

# Sound card support
device        pcm

# Serial (COM) ports
device        sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device        sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3

# Parallel port
device        ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device        ppbus        # Parallel port bus (required)
device        lpt        # Printer
device        ppi        # Parallel port interface device

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device        miibus        # MII bus support
device        fxp        # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
device        wi

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocate.
pseudo-device    loop        # Network loopback
pseudo-device    ether        # Ethernet support
pseudo-device    tun        # Packet tunnel.
pseudo-device    pty        # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device    gif        # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
pseudo-device    faith    1    # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

pseudo-device    bpf        #Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device        uhci        # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device        ohci        # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device        usb        # USB Bus (required)
device        ugen        # Generic
device        uhid        # "Human Interface Devices"
device        ukbd        # Keyboard
device        ums        # Mouse

and here is my make.conf

# Set Kernel Configuration File and CVSup Flags

KERNCONF=    lizard
SUP_UPDATE=    yes
SUP=        /usr/local/bin/cvsup
SUPFLAGS=    -g -L 2
SUPHOST=    cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
SUPFILE=    /usr/src/supfile

# Set X window system

X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=    xorg

CPUTYPE=i586/mmx

CFLAGS= -O -pipe

COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe

NOPROFILE=    true    # Avoid compiling profiled libraries

I'm posting this to -ports because this is the only program that causes
the spontaneous reboot, and it didn't occur before the problems with
ruby/portupgrade.  I'm totally at a loss, and I don't seem to even know
enough to know how to capture the output before it reboots, or stop it
from rebooting so I can at least see the output.

One last question, does make fetchindex do the same thing as portsdb -U?
or am I completely confused?

Christopher Kelley