FreeBSD Port: gcc-4.0.0_20050109

David Steen david at scis.se
Sat Jan 15 04:02:31 PST 2005

Hi,

I am experiencing problems to build Scilab with gcc 3.4 (that are
included in the FreeBSD 5.3 release). They seem to be related to the
fortran compiler, because when installing gcc 3.2 ang using g77-32 for
the fortran compilations the build works. I have not tried gcc 3.3. Do
You know of any changes in g77 that might have caused this
incompatibility? The error symptom is that the build works, but when
running Scilab, simple operations such as 1 diveded by 2 hangs (the
program seems to get stuck in a loop, since it is using a lot of
processor time). I do not have enough insight into Scilab to know what
fortran code gets called.

I see that a gcc 4.0 have emerged in the FeeBSD ports. Is this a
prerelease version (I could not find any info on the gcc website about a
4.0 release)? I noticed that there are one version with the new gfortran
compiler. Do You have any idea regarding which of the two fortran
compilers will have the best chance of building Scilab?

Regards
  David Steen