HEADS UP: pkg-plist strict enforcement starting

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 14 16:06:42 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 09:43 +1100, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 05:12:07PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >
> > Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> > | Isn't that resolved by modifying ports/sysutils/pkg_install and
> > | noting it in ports/UPDATING?
> >
> > Resolved is probably not the correct word as this will trigger a flurry
> > of emails from -RELEASE users.  A solution might be to modify
> > bsd.port.mk to detect OSVERSIONs that don't have the fix, then add a
> > dependency on sysutils/pkg_install.  The problem then comes to package
> > users who may not have a /usr/ports at all.  If they don't know to use
> > the pkg_install tools in LOCALBASE, they'll get package installation
> > problems.  I'm not sure what the best solution for them is.
>
> This OSVERSION solution looks the way to go.
>
> For the packages, pkg_delete already gives an warning when it sees
> an unknown @command:
>
>     warnx("%s: unknown command '%s' (package tools out of date?)",
>
> But it doesn't say what to do (this is version a.b.c, check
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/packages/blaat for newer versions)

That warning should probably be changed to instruct the user to install
pkg_install, then use /usr/local/sbin/pkg_* for all your packaging
needs.  While it won't help current -RELEASE users, it's something that
would help in such situations moving forward.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org