HEADS UP: pkg-plist strict enforcement starting

Lupe Christoph lupe at lupe-christoph.de
Fri Jan 14 06:39:21 PST 2005

Quoting Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org>:

> The main case you need to worry about is when someone (e.g. package
> cluster) does 'make install deinstall'.  It's OK, but not ideal, for
> the package to leave behind some runtime-created files when the
> software has been used or configured by the user.  You should then add
> a pkg-deinstall message warning about where the leftover files live,
> if they exist, so the administrator can choose to delete them by hand.

Hmm. What about an environment variable DELETE_PORT_COMPLETELY that
let's you test the port knows which files etc it normally leaves
behind and shows that by rm'ing them?

This way a port can leave things behind but still pass the deinstall
test.

Of course I'd still prefer a way to specify config files/dirs. But to
delete them, the package management system still needs a way to
distingiush an upgrade delete from a complete delete.

Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe at lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| "... putting a mail server on the Internet without filtering is like   |