mpeg4ip requires IPv6?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Thu Jan 6 00:08:58 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 04:10:38PM -0800, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 December 2004 01:47 pm, Scott I. Remick wrote:
>

> I don't have the begining of this thread so I'm not sure what you
> did to get the following output but I noticed
> a few things worth commenting on just the same...
>
> > --- Michael Johnson <ahze at ahze.net> wrote:
> > > Others have reported this also, I am unable to reproduce it but if
> > > you 'make config' and turn on IPV6 support everything should work.
>
> [snipped no relevent stuff]
>
> > aa -lusbhid /usr/local/lib/libmp4v2.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
> > /usr/bin/ld: warning: libc.so.4, needed by
> > /usr/local/lib/libmp4v2.so, may conflict
> > with libc.so.5
>
> I don't have  libc.so.4 on my FreeBSD-5 Stable system, are you running
> FreeBSD 4 or 5?
>
> locate libc.so on my FreeBSD 5.3 returns:
>
> /lib/libc.so.5
> /usr/compat/linux/lib/libc.so.6
> /usr/lib/libc.so
>
> If you are running FreeBSD 5 you probably have dependencies linked
> to out of date libraries and the dependencies should be upgraded, if
> your running FreeBSD 4 then never mind.

Exactly.  The libc.so.4 shared library is used in FreeBSD 4.  Apparently
it is still present on Scott's system, and even worse, it is actually
used by the libmp4v2.so library.

Scott, your best bet would be to look through /usr/lib, find all
libraries that are present in several versions (libc.so.4 and libc.so.5,
libm.so.2 and libm.so.3, and so on), and make a list of the old
libraries from your 4.x system (libc.so.4 and libm.so.2 in this case).
Then, use something like the following (all on one line):

  find /usr/local /usr/X11R6 -type f -perm +111 | xargs ldd -f '%A\t%o\n' |
      fgrep -e libc.so.4 -e libm.so.2

This will show you all executable files which are linked directly against
either libc.so.4 or libm.so.2.  Then, for the libraries (again all on one
line):

  find /usr/local /usr/X11R6 -type f -name \*.so\* | xargs ldd -f '%A\t%o\n' |
      fgrep -e libc.so.4 -e libm.so.2

This will show you all libraries linked against outdated libraries.

After that, find which packages those files come from (using pkg_info -qW),
deinstall them and rebuild them after you've removed the outdated libraries
from /usr/lib.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
When you are not looking at it, this sentence is in Spanish.